LoveCrafts

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

Calling All Rigid Heddle Weavers!

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone, I have a 16 " Kromski Harp Forte rigid heddle, love it! I added a Weavers Choice heddle (12 to 5 dpi) I'm looking at a smaller Ashford that has the 2 dpi for making yarn art. My loom is waiting for a project but I did finish a forever "dog on the loom" table runner made of salvage edges of painter drop canvas cloth. Its rough but works for the 7 1/2 ft picnic table.
    Looking forward to seeing and learning about your weaving projects!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0075.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	19716Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0099.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	19718

Attached Files
    Nothing is impossible, the word itself say's "I'm Possible"
    Audrey Hepburn

Comment

• Fiber Passion
      Fiber Passion commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Carlota, Thank You! I'm the same way , i'm knitting socks right now but this thread has got me excited to warp up the loom. Liz Gipson is awesome, I got her dvd on double weaving. Lots of fall project in store : ) Looking forward to seeing your projects.

• Fiber Passion
      Fiber Passion commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello Debbi, Thank you. I recycle the salvage edges of fabrics. Edges that would be tossed are beautiful to use in fiber art, spin and weave.

• Fiber Passion
      Fiber Passion commented
      Editing a comment
      Not sure why I could not post on each comment separately, so had to do it this way. Theres only a flag on each comment and not a comment button.

I just bought a 20 inch Schacht Flip and am waiting for the stand to be delivered. I've been weaving for over 20 years. I was lucky enough to have Nancy Hoskins as my teacher when we both worked for Lane Community College.
    I fell in love with the vintage Structo looms and collected 3 of them. 2 tiny metal looms, both of which had been used in schools in the East, and my numbered Maple 4 shaft table loom.
    The 2 shaft metal one is now in the Eugene Textile Center in a glass case. I still use the 4 shaft metal one for miniature and sample work. I have used the Maple table loom as a rigid heddle by taking the castle off.
    It and the metal one have spools that can be rewound and a special hex rod to make them work. But, It is time for the Maple Loom to be passed down to the younger members of the family and it is too heavy for me to lift anymore. I bought it from Robin and Russ weavers in McMinnville not long before Russ died of cancer, so there is no way I would ever sell it.
    I'm very interested in trying to make a 4 shaft cardboard loom that I found online the other day, and plan to make more rigid heddles with frames and fabric heddles. I I already have 4 commercial ones.
    I've been doing fiber crafts for over 65 years, and none have ever bored me.

Comment

So I know this thread is a "few" months old, but I am so glad for it! I've steadfastly ignored weaving as "another hobby" that I don't need as someone else here stated, but I am seriously considering making my own dishtowels and washable placemats, and I think a RH loom would be a good place to start. I also could use it as a stash-buster for both commercial and handspun yarns that I have. I loved DebbiRYarn 's insight on what looms are good ones for starting out and I'm thinking the Ashford SampleIt looks like a good one to start with, so I'm not spending a lot of money on a hobby that I might not like (although something tells me I will love it since I love working with fiber). Would this be a good loom for making soft, absorbent dishtowels? My biggest dilemma is that I don't have enough time to try it all--I knit, spin, and crochet and to add weaving to the mix would probably make my husband scratch his head and wonder why I think I have time to do one more thing!

Just as an aside--I just heard one lady today respond to my comment about the rabbit hole--she said she prefers to call it the "Creative Vortex".

Comment

• rkennell
        rkennell commented
        Editing a comment
        crosstitchlinda - sigh, I guess I'll just have to suffer through it......But what lovely suffering! I think I'll do the same. I found a Beka loom on FB marketplace that I hope to have by later this week, as my learning loom, and when, I mean IF, I get sucked down that black hole, on it I'll probably invest in a bit higher quality one.

• Kathy7661
        Kathy7661 commented
        Editing a comment
        rkennell Yay! 👏 Congratulations! Please post photos when you get your loom!!

• Carlota
        Carlota commented
        Editing a comment
        That's super! Creative Vortex - full steam ahead!

Does anyone know anything about LeClerc Berger RH looms. There is a 24 inch used one for sale for 180 (shipping included ) but it looks substantial! The biggest drawback I am seeing is that it doesn't have a stand option, but I do believe it has an upgrade kit for a 2nd heddle. It's in good shape and it's one being sold by a son whose mom had several looms before she passed.

​​​​​​I found out this morning that the Beka loom was practically sold out from under me. I was told she'd ship it today but it was marked sold yesterday and when I inquired, she said she sold it to someone else. Oh well!

Comment

• Carlota
        Carlota commented
        Editing a comment
        Leclerc is a solid brand in looms, in business a long time, and the loom looks quite substantial. I believe it is a current model - no reason you can't accessorize. No doubt you have already been on the Camilla Valley site - they are an awesome resource. 24 inch is super versatile size - no problem doing shawls or towels. It holds a lot of warp, which is good. The offer of the stand is amazing - I do think this would work clamped to a table but a stand will give you more options. I'm excited for you!

• DebbiRYarn
        DebbiRYarn commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, interesting! They've made it kind of a cross between a RH loom and a table loom. Have the seller look at the Ashford RH stand for inspiration. I think it's a better design for this type loom than the Schacht. If they're not included in the loom sale, look at getting the rest of the heddles for it. Woolery carries them.

• rkennell
        rkennell commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the comments. I'm excited to be getting it! I sent a picture of an Ashford stand to him for reference to let him know how I'd like to have it.

DebbiRYarn, thanks for the suggestion of getting an extra heddle. I will order the upgrade kit.

Carlota, I did see their site.They look like an excellent resource.

Now we need to help Char find a loom as well!

Weaving teacher Kelly Casanova has two new free YouTube videos that focus on weaving yarns. Most of the examples were woven on RH looms. Here is a link to the first one. She also has an online weaving school with many courses focused on RH weaving.

Comment

• Carlota
        Carlota commented
        Editing a comment
        rkennell Super! I'm excited for you. What size heddle comes with it?

• rkennell
        rkennell commented
        Editing a comment
        Carlota -- thanks! It's a 24-inch LeClerc Bergere and the heddle is a 6 DPI, so I'll need to at least get a 10 for doing dish towels.

• Carlota
        Carlota commented
        Editing a comment
        rkennell I agree, a 10 will be useful. It's great to have more than one size. Fun stuff!

Is this good Weaving yarn?

Name:	3E86396D-3ECE-4DDA-A09D-A102ABD27FC2.jpeg
Views:	93
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	46956

Knitting is happening here! ❤️

2020 Stashbuster MAL: WTD = -3; YTD = -62

Comment

• Bettymo
        Bettymo commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks good to me.

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        Kathy7661 Bettymo - any thoughts on what this should cost from the Facebook marketplace? Just curious if it is a good deal. She's asking $10 per

• Kathy7661
        Kathy7661 commented
        Editing a comment
        The cotton yarn (8/2) for 1# (3360 yards) typically cost 25.00. It does go on sale often for maybe $16-20.
        When I've bought a wool blend it's always been a skein so I don't know about that.
        It certainly would give you a jump start to your weaving stash and a great way to experiment.

From now through April 7, 2020, Liz Gipson is offering her Yarnworker School class Weaving 101 for FREE, in light of current events. This is a rigid heddle class, and even if you can't watch the lessons now, you can sign up now and watch when convenient. She is a generous, patient teacher who gives feedback. Here is the link to her site, where she talks about this offer:
      https://yarnworker.com/keep-calm-and...ost-resources/

Comment

• rkennell
        rkennell commented
        Editing a comment
        Sweet! Definitely will sign up! Thanks for sharing this!

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        rkennell - did you see they have a beginner weave along starting 4/8?

• rkennell
        rkennell commented
        Editing a comment
        Char - I didn't see that until you mentioned it, but I think if we could get some of the beginner stuff under our belt, that would be a good class! I'm assuming you are talking about the "Go Your Own Way Runner"? I need to get your loom to you this weekend!!! I did sign up for the free 101 Weaving class.

Squeee!!! So this is finally happening! I got my loom last week and after watching some videos to get the basics of how to start, I'm finally playing around a bit tonight since my evening event was canceled. I've not followed any class projects for the online classes yet; this is just some yarn I had and decided to give it a try. Quite fun, actually! I'm sure you pros can find some things that need improvement, including those looser outside rows, so I welcome any input! I'm using some mercerized cotton (Fantasy Naturale) for warp and for weft, I am using some Lion Brand Coboo--I just had both of these on hand and they were probably some of my cheaper and smoother yarns to start out with. I've been watching the Bluprint class by Deborah Jarchow; I love her teaching style.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Resized_20200316_184830_9289.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	141.4 KB ID:	47618Click image for larger version  Name:	20200316_205735.jpg Views:	2 Size:	179.4 KB ID:	47619

Comment

• Carlota
        Carlota commented
        Editing a comment
        Gosh, so good to hear all the good loomy news! Thrilling, in fact!

• rkennell
        rkennell commented
        Editing a comment
        Carlota - Thanks! I do agree, it is a nice-looking loom now that I've given it a big of feed and wax--it shined up nicely! I even gave the shuttles a good coat. I had some on hand that I use on my spinning wheel from time to time as well. It's amazing what that can do to older wood! (my wheel is a 1975 Ashford Traditional)

I appreciate the insight about tightening up the strands. I'll tinker with that a bit. I also did adjust the tension a bit on each weft strand and that seemed to help a bit as well. I found your comments about weights for the warp threads interesting, especially after I watched the episode on Bluprint's Rigid Heddle weaving course about tightening up the threads. She basically said the same thing you did, so it was good to know what needs to be done.

oldeworldfibres - Thanks--it is an exciting time. I met up with Char today for the first time (and we may or may not have given each other a hug despite all the restrictions that abound) and she got her loom. It's a beauty! I'm sure we'll be seeing her posts of projects before long as well!

Kathy7661 - Thanks! I have a feeling this will be fun! Char -- you're next!

• Bettymo
        Bettymo commented
        Editing a comment
        Yay great!

All right - you asked for it!!! I couldn’t keep myself away.

I believe this will be a “fingertip” towel - I should have made this a little wider for a kitchen towel. :-)

I am using some cotton that came with it for the warp, and the weft is some peaches and cream kitchen cotton.

my son is taking a turn now - this is becoming a family affair!

Thank you so much rkennell for meeting today. I do look forward to the day this has passed the restaurants are back open so we can visit more.

Name:	4669A1AE-D562-491C-81F0-0C595DD42D5A.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	47743

Comment

• Bettymo
        Bettymo commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks wonderful wow you're weaving! Try to beat with your hand in the middle of the reed instead of one hand at each end.

• Kathy7661
        Kathy7661 commented
        Editing a comment
        Wonderful! Looking good! 👍

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Bettymo - thank you for the tip!

So, my loom has been churning out some fun stuff over the weekend!! The first thing I did after my "sample" (earlier post) was a pillow cover. I got a pattern for a knitted one in another forum https://fiberkind.com/blogs/my-miss-...n-throw-pillow that I really loved and purchased the yarn to make it. (I know, it's not a stash buster!) It really matched our new tweed couch and I wanted some soft throw pillows for it. So I knitted up the front side (still need to knit the back), and the whole time, I was wondering if I could weave one in a similar pattern? I decided to give it a go with the same yarn to see how it would look in comparison. It was a bit less soft and fluffy, but it had a beautiful look and it nicely complements the knitted pillow cover. It wove up quickly since I used thicker yarn. My family was impressed! (My husband really liked it, but immediately started asking if I could make some to sell--I turned him down for the time being. I don't want to spend my life making throw pillows at this point. I think he's starting to get nervous that this isolation stretch will produce knitted curtains, woven light shades, and more!)

My second weaving project is on the loom--I started a the Striped Scarf project from the Bluprint Rigid Heddle class I signed up for. I ended up subbing my own yarns for a stashbuster, using similar yarn weights and color designs. I even dyed a hank of bare worsted merino that I have had in my stash for a long time. It came out to the perfect shade of green that I wanted (to match the green in the sock yarn) and I think I am going to be happy with the results!

Name:	20200323_083637.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	264.1 KB
ID:	48428Click image for larger version

Name:	20200320_094817.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	48429Click image for larger version

Name:	20200322_170002.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	48427

Comment

• Kathy7661
        Kathy7661 commented
        Editing a comment
        This is great! All the information on your project is just awesome! You have learned so much in a very short time! So is it safe to say you like weaving? 😊

• rkennell
        rkennell commented
        Editing a comment
        Carlota - I was thinking the same thing, that I could use up my stash, which I have for a couple things, and I had already bought the yarn for the pillows, thinking I would knit 2 of them, so technically I have so far, but I have already ordered some cotton for weaving dish towels and ordered a cowl weaving kit for the free class I signed up for with Kelly Cassanova, so I am a little concerned about my stash growing for weaving! But I do find I use up yarn faster this way than weaving. I'm also hoping to be able to learn how to use some of my handspun for weaving! The biggest thing is finding time to do all the different ones (knitting, spinning, and weaving). I don't think this isolation is going to last long enough to get it all done (hopefully not!). Especially now that Spring is soon here and I will need to start working outside as well.

Kathy7661 - I think it's pretty safe to say I like weaving. I resisted for a long time, just as I did with spinning, and somehow I still managed to fall down that hole!

• Carlota
        Carlota commented
        Editing a comment
        Kathy7661 rkennell I know the feeling of being on the verge of too many interests - weaving sort of has me over the edge, but I think it is so interesting and such a logical complement to spinning and knitting that I'm not going to worry about it. Oh, and quilting. And rug hooking. Each of which has its own required STUFF. I could name some others but . . .
        Last edited by Carlota; 03-30-2020, 11:06 PM.

For those who weave with rigid heddle looms and other small looms, a fun annual magazine is soon available, shipping April 6, 2020.
      https://shop.longthreadmedia.com/pro...ms-summer-2020

Comment

My first scarf. Selvedges were a little rough at the beginning but got better as I went along. :-)

Name:	4FDC0927-135E-43AA-8038-2E41D7E61E3F.jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	49392

Comment

• FreedomLover
          FreedomLover commented
          Editing a comment
          Very nice!

• rkennell
          rkennell commented
          Editing a comment
          This is so pretty!! I love how you identified the yarn!! Good job!!

• Char
          Char commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you everyone I'm excited to get my next thing on the loom!

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
      X