LoveCrafts

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

Calling All Rigid Heddle Weavers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free Weave-along with Liz Gipson registration starts April 8, 2020. Find out more on her website, here:
    https://yarnworker.com/

Comment

I tried indirect warping today, with the family’s help. It is on the loom and threaded now. 18 feet we estimate so I should be able to get a few towels. :-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	3CA5D81F-1FC6-411E-832D-862F92FD47E3.jpeg
Views:	217
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	51734
      Knitting is happening here! ❤️

Stashbuster MAL 2020: WTD: -20; YTD -268

Comment

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! It certainly helped keep the fur babies out of dangling strings. Lol

• FreedomLover
        FreedomLover commented
        Editing a comment
        This is awesome! I've been weaving small projects one at a time which I know is inefficient but it makes me go through the whole process over and over again. I've ordered yarn from the Woolery and once it's here I'm going to warp for a few towels and see how I do on measuring.

• rkennell
        rkennell commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks like it worked out great!! Saves some serious walking!

Speaking of furbabies, this kitten is hysterical.

Shelly in South Carolina

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama

US Gardening Zone 8B

Comment

Right now, it is so important that we try to help the small businesses that supply weavers with the beautiful yarns and tools that we need (and want). I buy from many different places, but just received an email from GIST Yarns with her response to the current environment. She is forging ahead and will be developing and stocking RH kits in conjunction with Liz Gipson among other types of kits. One of the things she said in her email is that she needs to lead with hope instead of fear (paraphrased). That is a profound statement from a small business owner. I am going to do my best to buy from these small businesses whenever possible. We need them as much as they need us.
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. - Bernard Baruch

Comment

• rkennell
          rkennell commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed! Definitely want to support them! Also, I believe Char put up a list of businesses that are supporting Fiberkind through affiliate links, so be sure to check those out when ordering. I think she plans to try to add some more to the list after things settle down a bit.

• Char
          Char commented
          Editing a comment
          rkennell - yes I hope after things settle back to "normal" we'll be able to get more advertisers.

Just (minutes ago) ordered my 20” Flip RH from the Spinnery on Etsy. I’ve been looking for quite a while. I had to sell an item on Mercari before I could make my purchase. So excited!

Comment

• Char
          Char commented
          Editing a comment
          I bet you are beside yourself with excitement!!!

• FreedomLover
          FreedomLover commented
          Editing a comment
          I can't wait to hear more about your adventures, I'm also a newbie and love weaving.

• Char
          Char commented
          Editing a comment
          Do you have your loom up and in action?

I am learning a lot about warp tension with this....

too tight

Name:	9990A8EF-B3D5-4451-B445-5135D68B570C.jpeg
Views:	155
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	54077

just right

Name:	3E1DFA06-220C-49ED-9FFC-4568A200A177.jpeg
Views:	151
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	54078

Comment

Char -- Is it a stretchy yarn? Did you do the "stretch" test? I still think it's a pretty color combo!

Comment

• Char
            Char commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes - it is tremendously stretchy. A lighter touch on the "beating" and a less strong pull on the warp I think will make a world of business.

• rkennell
            rkennell commented
            Editing a comment
            Ah, I guess that does make a difference. I've heard a lot of people mentioning that, but so far, all my yarns haven't been real stretchy.

So - I decided to warp / thread my double heddles. :-) I am much happier with the results. I am not doing anything special with the weft - both heddles up and both heddles down as I weave.

Name:	4D678FE6-A44A-4260-8873-BFFC0E373F84.jpeg
Views:	145
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	54166

Comment

• maryemilee
            maryemilee commented
            Editing a comment
            What a difference using the second heddle made. More depth to the pattern. Really like this color combo.

• Char
            Char commented
            Editing a comment
            maryemilee - I was thoroughly amazed at the difference!!! Yay for a second heddle. It is allowing me to use thinner yarns while I wait for my smaller dent reed.

• Kathy7661
            Kathy7661 commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks great!!

Here is my finished scarf. I’m trying a different method for my selvedges that is working better than this one. :-)

Yarn: solid burgundy and solid white Woolike from Michael’s, the sparkly variegated is Lion Brand Summer Nights.

Warp: double heddle setup with two 7.5. Back heddle had one strand of summer nights through the holes, front heddle had one strand of the solid.

Weft: holding one strand of summer nights together with one strand of the woolike

9” wide x 72” long.

Name:	5CE71794-CE41-4AC4-B9FC-B2091FD70F39.jpeg
Views:	119
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	54564

Comment

• maryemilee
            maryemilee commented
            Editing a comment
            You knitters are good at holding two strands together. I just can't bring myself to do it. Couldn't do it when I knit either. This makes me want to break out my rigid heddle. I took it out of the closet the other day. These are the best colors.

• Char
            Char commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks guys! :-)

maryemilee - you really should break it out. Show us some awesome things that can be done with the Rigid heddle and how to do them.

• maryemilee
            maryemilee commented
            Editing a comment
            Char, you give me too much credit. I actually have not woven on my RH for probably 8+ years. I had it for 2 or 3 years before I got my first 4H floor loom. I haven't woven on the RH since. And I wasn't that great on it. I was a crocheter (over 15 years by now) who got into weaving on the RH because my LYS sold Ashford knitters looms, so I have a 32 inch with a stand and a ton of pick up sticks and shuttles and 3 heddle sizes. My prediction, you'll have a floor/table loom in the next couple of years. I have two floor looms now (4H and 8H), and my recent 8H table loom. Hard to stop getting them. But I love hearing all the stories from the new weavers. Weavers are the kindest people ever.

Does anyone have this book:

https://shop.longthreadmedia.com/pro...heddle-weaving

I am wondering if it would be a good book to get ideas and techniques but I couldn't find any review.

Comment

• Carlota
            Carlota commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't have it the title you asked about, but Betty Linn Davenport is well known for her book from the 70s Hands On Rigid Heddle Weaving, which was my textbook in college back then and I believe is still in print. The cover piece on the book you linked looks fantastic.

• maryemilee
            maryemilee commented
            Editing a comment
            Believe it or not I have #2 (bought ebook in 2013) but not #1. Sorry.

But... I do have the hard copy of Betty Linn Davenport Textures and Patterns for the Rigid Heddle Loom. Great book, explains the weaving structures. Char if you will DM me your address I'll send it to you. I'll be happy someone is using it. I bought it Nov 2013.

And I just looked, it is even autographed by the author.

• Char
            Char commented
            Editing a comment
            maryemilee I have been drooling over that book!!! PM sent.

Sooo - I am wondering. I am wondering - if I want to warp with a fingering in a 12 dent heddle, only doing every other slot/hole... would this be the equivalent of a 6 dent so I could weave with some bulky yarn?

Comment

I think I have the hem stitching down. :-)

Name:	09E487B5-EC2D-423D-AC24-32D7F4502C3A.jpeg
Views:	101
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	55304

Comment

• Kathy7661
            Kathy7661 commented
            Editing a comment
            Nicely done!

• FreedomLover
            FreedomLover commented
            Editing a comment
            This looks great.

• maryemilee
            maryemilee commented
            Editing a comment
            Way better than I am. I am so impatient I hurry it.

Yay!!! I think my edges are finally getting neater!

Name:	9E5A049C-02CC-47DD-902E-D83F3E1EF1FE.jpeg
Views:	96
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	55827

Comment

• FreedomLover
            FreedomLover commented
            Editing a comment
            This is going to be a show stopper, the colors are divine.

• Char
            Char commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you ladies. :-)

• rkennell
            rkennell commented
            Editing a comment
            They do look really nice! Good work!

You are all killing it...great weaving. I still can't figure out how exactly to manage the stretch in warp and weft when I weave with Sock yarns, etc.

Comment

• Char
            Char commented
            Editing a comment
            *whistles* whatever do you mean - knitters having scraps of yarn everywhere? 😇😇

• Bettymo
            Bettymo commented
            Editing a comment
            maryemilee @FreedomLover
            I'm going to check that out. With the weft I usually pull it in with tension then let it kind of relax back in before I beat but tension on the warp just not sure how tight to stretch it. So far things have turned out ok but I guess just practice will be the key on that.

• Char
            Char commented
            Editing a comment
            Bettymo - I struggle with this too. Although - I do tend to pull my weft before beating (while it is at an angle). I think that is helping my edges not have too much slack.

My Father in Law (who is totally awesome by the way) made me two loom stands - one for the 15” Cricket, and one for my 32” ashford. Both stands lay flat so it can be Tucked away easily when not used.

This is the smaller one with out the loom:

Name:	FB38BA45-FAAB-42BA-A0BE-99AC5415523A.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	59345Click image for larger version

Name:	E7D48298-FC94-4948-B1E1-B354A7785987.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	59346

this is my larger loom all set up on its new stand. I love that it is so adjustable!

Name:	0CF1D5A2-F88F-409F-B287-8894FAC60933.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	59347

Comment

• Rose the Rebel
            Rose the Rebel commented
            Editing a comment
            Char I know what you mean about shipping. Living in rural Idaho I have to ship things in all the time, it's not cheap. I think there are more resources and weavers in your neck of the woods for sure. I want to get out to Pennsylvania soon but plane fair is over $2,000 yikes. If they aren't locking us down with rules they are locking us down with prices. Anyway, your father in law is very talented, did he make his own pattern or is there one available for sale?

• Char
            Char commented
            Editing a comment
            Rose the Rebel - he made the pattern himself. I’m not sure if he kept a “pattern” or not - I assume he did? I can find out for you.

Sounds like a drive may be a lot more doable than flying. Lots to see between here and there!

• Rose the Rebel
            Rose the Rebel commented
            Editing a comment
            I would love to drive cross country and see all the sites but I have vertigo all the time, it's scary to drive across town I can't imagine hitting the highway. I need a chauffer 🚕

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
        X