LoveCrafts 728 X 90
YOUR AD COULD BE HERE!

Click here for details.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

Calling All Rigid Heddle Weavers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Note to self: there is only ONE way to wind warp
    onto the back beam. Ugh.
    Knitting is happening here! ❤️

Stashbuster MAL 2020: WTD: -20; YTD -276

Comment

• Kathy7661
      Kathy7661 commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol, I guess every weaver has to make warping mistakes.

• pinesprairie
      pinesprairie commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't know about the weaving but FreedomLover I sure can relate to the tail problem. Happens to me every now and then when I don't pay attention. It sure is good that we can laugh at ourselves isn't it? If I didn't I'd be in real trouble.

• rkennell
      rkennell commented
      Editing a comment
      Just saw this--and my gut reaction was "Oh, no! Oh no!" Not sure why I had that feeling. 🤣🤣 Maybe a reaction to it happening to me at some point??

I am trying a 5 dent on my 16” Kromski (fully warped) for this shawl in a ball. This color kept shredding on my 7.5 Dent. This is working much better.

I believe when wet finished it will fill in the gaps as this yarn really fluffs up when soaked.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A1646084-90A5-436A-956D-1AF154682378.jpeg
Views:	174
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	60900
    Knitting is happening here! ❤️

Stashbuster MAL 2020: WTD: -20; YTD -276

Comment

• Rose the Rebel
      Rose the Rebel commented
      Editing a comment
      I have tons of regular yarn that has been hanging around for years, I'm looking forward to finally using some of it up in practice! Thanks for the pep talks everyone, and pinesprairie thanks for reminding me to practice what I preach! Char, your piece will be beautiful, I can't wait to see how it turns out!

• FreedomLover
      FreedomLover commented
      Editing a comment
      pinesprairie I'm using Maurice Brassard 8/2 cotton doubled on a 10 dent heddle to make napkins and I love the weight of them. In the beginning I had a lot of Sugar and Cream cotton and that does make thick napkins, I like the heavier yarns better for dishtowels.

• pinesprairie
      pinesprairie commented
      Editing a comment
      Rose the Rebel You didn't leave me much room to be scared over there so I just thought I'd return the favor. Really, people here are so nice.

FreedomLover Yes, exactly what I meant but much better said!

Thought I'd show two sets of curtain fabric I made for the grands. My daughter sewed them.
    Grandson's are red/white/blue check on a 15 dent rigid heddle single threaded. I has some trouble with the tension on these. The light was behind the window so it is a bit washed out.

Name:	DSC_0010.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	61488
    Attached Files
    Linda
    Stasbusting week ending 11/7 WTD = 0 YTD = +160

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost.
    The Old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost" JRR Tolkien

Comment

• Kathy7661
      Kathy7661 commented
      Editing a comment
      Nicely done!

• Carlota
      Carlota commented
      Editing a comment
      That is super - I've been thinking about my kitchen window - maybe weaving for a Roman shade that I would line - I like your colors.

• Rose the Rebel
      Rose the Rebel commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow these look great!

Here are the ones for the girls, 10 dent heddle double threaded and used two threads at a time for the weft.
    I'm using a Kromski 32" harp loom.
    The Girls picked the colors. White and Periwinkle for the warp, and mauve to weave with. Used 8/2 cotton for these and the one for the grandson.

Name:	DSC_0011.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	61491Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0012.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	334.7 KB
ID:	61493
    Attached Files
    Linda
    Stasbusting week ending 11/7 WTD = 0 YTD = +160

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost.
    The Old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost" JRR Tolkien

Comment

• FreedomLover
      FreedomLover commented
      Editing a comment
      I love these!

• crosstitchlinda
      crosstitchlinda commented
      Editing a comment
      You could try a room darkening fabric, but use a heavier curtain rod. Or alternatively use a double rod and have a separate room darkening curtain or shade behind the woven one.

• pinesprairie
      pinesprairie commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks crosstitchlinda, I like the double rod idea.
      Last edited by pinesprairie; 07-10-2020, 02:38 PM. Reason: typo

Hello all, i am new here. I have a 32” Ashford rigid heddle loom, which I love! I am wondering has anyone here tried tapestry weaving on their rigid heddle loom? Not sure i want to purchase a tapestry loom right now. I have read that one cannot get enough tension in the rigid heddle loom needed for tapestry, curious what others may think.
    thanks and looking forward to exploring this forum.

Comment

• FreedomLover
      FreedomLover commented
      Editing a comment
      Welcome! I'm afraid I cannot answer your question, I'm a new weaver and have just done basic weave on my Ashford 24" loom, but if I can be of any assistance as you learn your way around Fiberkind I'd be happy to do so.

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      Good morning and welcome to FiberKind! I am also new to weaving but we have a few local resident experts I imagine will chime in.

Let us know if you need anything as you make your way around!

• Kathy7661
      Kathy7661 commented
      Editing a comment
      AMS Welcome to Fiberkind!
      I believe Kelly Casanova has YouTube videos on tapestry weaving on the rigid heddle loom.

AMS

Kathy7661 is right! You can check that out here.
    Shelly in South Carolina

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama

US Gardening Zone 8B

Comment

• Kathy7661
      Kathy7661 commented
      Editing a comment
      FreedomLover I apologize for not posting the link...I was rushing out this morning and still trying to get my Fiberkind fix. Thank you for linking the video!

• FreedomLover
      FreedomLover commented
      Editing a comment
      You're welcome! I still had a few minutes before I needed to get into gear.

Thank you for the comments, I am checking out Kelly Casanova today.

Comment

• FreedomLover
      FreedomLover commented
      Editing a comment
      You'll love her.

For those interested in a small weft-faced project, Liz Gipson's Summer 2020 Weave-Along: Mini-Rugs has just started and is free for a limited time. (If you sign up you can come back to it any time.) We are using a thin warp in an 8-dent rigid heddle, and a thicker (approximately worsted weight) yarn as weft. (My thought is that even if one didn't do the project, there is much to learn from watching the videos, as the weave-along is presented in a class format. ) Here is the link: https://www.yarnworkerschool.com/cou...2020-mini-rugs
    Last edited by Carlota; 08-22-2020, 11:18 PM. Reason: to fix link

Comment

• Carlota
      Carlota commented
      Editing a comment
      Char Thanks - I think it is good now.

• rkennell
      rkennell commented
      Editing a comment
      I did sign up but I think for now I will just watch it while I'm working on my fiber. I enjoy learning something like this while I'm doing something that is mindless like prepping fiber. But until the SdF is done, and my canning season is over, weaving is kind of on the back burner. It does make me eager to weave again, though!

• Carlota
      Carlota commented
      Editing a comment
      @rkennnell That's great - super way to multi-task!

I have a question about yarns. I have some Yarn Bee Rainbow Wrapsody that is 60% cotton/40% acrylic and I'm thinking of using it for warp and then using I Love This Cotton (100% cotton) for the weft and making them into towels. Is it a bad idea to use it for that? I don't know that the cotton/acrylic is mercerized and I wonder how absorbent it would be to use?
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20201102_101439.jpg Views:	2 Size:	125.9 KB ID:	80970

Comment

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      TexasPurl I believe has experience with mercerized cotton - maybe she can chime in?

• pinesprairie
      pinesprairie commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm going to add my 2 cents if that's okay. I Love This Cotton is not mercerized and is a relatively heavy cotton. It's not all that absorbent until it's been washed and dried numerous (eg, 10+) times, then will perform as you would expect. A couple other things is that it sheds and appears to pill until those washings take place - much like flannel. And be aware that it takes quite a long while to dry so can get that mildew smell if it stays damp between uses. My preference is a cotton/acrylic blend for kitchen/bath items but hubby loves that heavier 100% cotton for utility use.

• rkennell
      rkennell commented
      Editing a comment
      pinesprairie - thanks so much for taking the time to chime in! I appreciate your input. I've not use any of the I Love This Cotton yet for weaving, although I know Char has used it quite a bit. I'm thinking of maybe trying to make some towels from cotton/acrylic and see how they turn out if you've had good luck with them. I might just go with some color pooling effect since I have 3 of those skeins and see how they look. It's inexpensive, so I'm not too worried about using it for an experiment.

Feeling like I'm getting my weaving mojo back now that canning season is over and Christmas is scarily close! The first wrap was my first attempt at clasped weft weaving. I used the HL Rainbow Rhapsody in the post above and split the colors apart for warp and weft. I did a triple-colored weft and it was kinda' fun--no pattern, just free-handed it. It was not exactly a warm fuzzy wrap, but it does help take away the chill around the shoulders and is nice and wide.

The 2nd scarf is for my slightly autistic niece who was here for a few days in February and we had fun dying some yarns. One of them we did was a "breaking violet" with Wilton Violet cake color and it turned out so pretty. My intention was to make a scarf with it for her and I finally managed to accomplish it. I used the violet yarn for the warp and used some matching aqua blue from HL for the weft (Baby Bee Splash) and I am pretty happy with how it turned out. I did Kelly Cassanova's Garden Path scarf pattern, which is mostly just Brook's Bouquet. It is incredibly soft and I plan to surprise her with it at Christmas.

I am keeping my loom smoking--I've done both of these in probably a week's time and now I have some towels warped up to weave. I really wanted to do some more dishtowels for gifts, so I need to keep moving.

Name:	20201121_155558.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	82601

Name:	20201121_155819.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	82602

Comment

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful!!!

• FreedomLover
      FreedomLover commented
      Editing a comment
      Gorgeous projects! I need to get back to weaving.

• rkennell
      rkennell commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks ladies, for the kind words. It does feel good to be weaving again after several months of not having anything on the loom, and I found I needed to brush up on several things that I had forgotten. So I'm glad if it motivates others to get back into it!

Amazon Widget

Collapse

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
X