LoveCrafts 728 X 90

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

Rigid Heddle Loom Brands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am thinking about stimulating the economy with a 16" Ashford Rigid Heddle (not the SamplIt). What do you think FreedomLover and Rose the Rebel ?I think this would give me some good versatility for a beginner. I was looking at a Schacht Lilli lap loom, but I'm afraid I'd get bored with it and never use it.
    2020 Stashbuster MAL Week Ending 1/2321= (+1) YTD =+8

Comment

• crosstitchlinda
      crosstitchlinda commented
      Editing a comment
      I will also recommend the 24". The 16 is just not wide enough as you get more involved with weaving.

• Carlota
      Carlota commented
      Editing a comment
      A few more things to muddy the water. Considering the pros and cons of a smaller loom, I have the 20" Schacht Flip RH loom and love it. But, I could have done most of my projects so far on a 16" width loom, when I consider a list of my finished projects. Here are a few: a set of napkins, 3 sets of place mats, several scarves, two set of dishtowels, a set of linen lace facecloths, a table runner, all less than 16 inches wide. (Actually the dish towels were a little wider than that, but could have been narrower). I could NOT have done my hearth rug, but I could have done a rag rug type table runner or place mats in the same style. I am currently warped for some mini-rugs that will be like mouse pads or could be folded to make envelope-style bag. The lovely thing about a smaller width loom is that it is so much easier to handle the heddle when you beat, and that can be tiring because you beat every pick. Why beat with a very wide heddle when mostly doing narrow projects? These are just a few justifications for your thoughts. To be fair, I did not stop with the Schacht Flip, as weaving seems to cause one to be on Craig's List quite a bit just cruising for bargains (funny how that works), and so when I saw a floor loom last year,I nabbed it and can now go up to 36 inches if I want to work on a shawl or baby blanket. Other than width, another consideration is whether it can accommodate two or more heddles - but it is very hard to judge that as a negative if you aren't there yet. My flip accommodates 3 neddles but after one project I decided it was too fiddly to try to do on it what the 4-shaft loom was made for - all looms have limitations.

• PurlgirlButtons
      PurlgirlButtons commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for your input, @carlotta and Char and @crossstitchlinda. I am participating in Jillian Eve Fibers spinning class/ community for the next 3 mo., hoping the discipline required will take my spinning up a notch, and I will keep “ shopping.” Maybe I will find something serendipitously in the meantime.

Well, I don't think I would have room for anything bigger than a 16" and it fits my budget (if I had one.) I wanted a way to use handspun, and also make small rugs, table runners, etc. Not too sure about it, so will probably put it on the back burner for a bit and put the time into spinning. Maybe take an online interactive class. I need to concentrate on getting my yarn to be soft and poofy. Also, I got some big hand cards with my wheel, so might try making some mini rolags.
    2020 Stashbuster MAL Week Ending 1/2321= (+1) YTD =+8

Comment

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      Make sure you check out Carlota ‘s post.

Also - if you stop and think of it - the difference of the two widths is approximately the length from the tip of your pinky to the tip of your thumb stretched out.

Amazon Widget

Collapse

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
X