October 2020 Sock KAL Chat - FALL

@Pegg Thomas - you’ve got plenty of time and if your weather is like mine, it has turned into get under a blanket and knit weather. I had to wear long pants and a fleece jacket today :(. It was just summer last week!

@KnitsWithHorses - yes, we had a good visit. :slight_smile:

I learned TAAT about a year ago (someone here motivated me), but the magic loop is new to me. I like it, though. Trying to decide which I like better - magic loop or two circs.

Ah okay. If I do TAAT, I do toe up on 2 circs. I have done ML a few times and still do sometimes for baby hats but not TAAT socks. Nothing terrible about it, I just click better with 2 circs.

Welcome to our sock knitting group. These are great looking socks.

@Kokoriffic I saw your picture in the Dye forum and came to see if you’d found this group. I’m glad you did!

I’ve started my Toasty Warm Autumn socks. I think they call this a waffle pattern.

FAA2DE75-1FCA-4959-B379-DF3A32215DD4.jpeg

The colors and texture radiate the essence of autumn!
:slight_smile:

That really does just sing autumn!

Love that color combo! Very pretty.

Thanks everybody.

I see a lot of socks here on long circular needles. I’ve tried the magic loop and using two long circs and I don’t like either method. I prefer the short 10" circs or double-points. Am I the only one left who uses those? Two friends of mine have switched to the bendable double-points, but I haven’t tried those yet.

I started on dpn’s but switched to two circulars a while back. It prevented me from dropping that dpn all the time, and I never went back. I’m knitting a pair on magic loop now, but I believe I’ll be returning to 2 circs

I started on dpn’s then went to one sock for two 24” circulars. I tried two socks on two circulars, and don’t like it. My preferred method is still one sock on two circs, and I make both socks in tandem. (Uses 4 24” needles for the pair).

I primarily use dpns. Sometimes 2 circs but I’m not really a fan of the 9" circs. At all. Made myself finish 3 socks on one just to make sure it wasn’t just an adjustment period needed. Nope nope nope. DPNs are still my favorite for socks. I don’t mind magic loop for a little hat or something but not TAAT socks. I make my socks concurrently so I don’t end up with any second sock syndrome.

Your yarn turned out fabulous! The color reminds me of a pumpkin pie :slight_smile:

I started on dpn’s then also tried the 9" circs, but when I learned to do magic loop I never went back. I gave my dpn’s away and haven’t touched the 9" circs in several years now.

I still use dpn’s I have tried 2 circulars, but all those ends just drove me crazy (I mean crazier than I already am!). Haven’t tried magic loop because I’m happy with the dpn’s. My only problem is I’ve actually broken needles because of how strongly I push with my thumbs!! I tend to use steel needles in the smaller sizes.

I do mine concurrently too. Hate that second sock syndrome! I like the Addi Turbos that are 10" and one side needle is longer than the other. I have large hands, but they fit me. I’ve tried other brands that I can’t hold as comfortably.

52f7dbf6b5a89306ed9664b0af8eb0aejpg.jpg

These are perfect!

@crossstitchlinda I have broken a couple of wood ones on the smaller sizes and even my steel ones get a bit bent over time in the 0-2s, so now I stick with the steel ones from size 6 down and I have a boxed set of Lykkes in the larger size that I love. I make newborn and preemie hats on those mostly.