October 2023 Chatter

I’m not ready at all for this white stuff :frowning:

3 Likes

Not snowing at my place. Only in the upper 30’s in the morning. Which might not be cold for some of you, however, that is a huge temp drop for this Ca girl. I am layered up and wearing my knit items already. My hands are always freezing, so the gloves never really get put away. I wore them yesterday.

Had to go up to Beale AFB yesterday. About an hour drive, if there is no traffic. It was an amazingly dark commute with fog on the the edges of the road and cold. Then warmed up nicely to the low 70’s. (It was my first time there. It was so dark I couldn’t find my building. So waited in the gym parking lot till the sun rose and I could explore a bit without wandering around attracting attention.) Of course I told fellow civilian ladies my driving story and they were completely sympathetic. If you don’t know your way around a base…it can be confusing, difficult and dramatic. Thankfully, I avoided most of that by staying in one place till I was able to see.

Yesterday, I cheated. I made goodie bags for the immediate neighbor kiddos. I went to their houses and handed them out about dinner time, put a no candy note on the door, then turned off front lights and drew the curtains. I had some extra candy in case someone came to the door. Thankfully, no one did. I put my tired self to bed before 9pm with a book.

2 Likes

Nobody down my street was answering the door to trick or treaters this year: a neighbour had to explain to a persistent family through her window that as an intruder stabbed an elderly man and his dog (both survived, thank goodness, but the criminal has not yet been arrested) on Saturday afternoon, nobody on our street felt safe just now. The story was all over our local news, I was astonished anyone would even take their kids down a road where something like that happened just a couple of days before.

1 Like

I am so glad you are safe. I am sorry that happened. Do they have any idea who the bad guy is, and why he chose that particular man/area?

Maybe the families do not know about the event. Or, sadly, are used to the violence.
When I was about 10 and in my first foster home…I lived in a heavy gang area. You name it…it went on. We were allowed/encouraged to go trick or treating…alone. And they didn’t care how far we went. My foster sister and I borrowed clothes and shoes and went out. We came home with a standard bed pillow case absolutely full of candy that year.

2 Likes

Nobody knows who he is, but it has since come out that during Halloween night a teenager was stabbed in a fight on the local playground, at about 6.30. A lot of people heard the screaming but nobody realised it wasn’t just Halloween fun.

1 Like

These are great! I love the embroidery :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like