LoveCrafts

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

Bee Hive Lap Blanket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bee Hive Lap Blanket

Hi All:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bees in Hive Childs Blanket Front.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	56253Click image for larger version

Name:	Queen Bee Ready for Her Close Up.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	56254Click image for larger version

Name:	Bees in Hive Childs Blanket Wrong Side.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	56255

It's a mish mosh of patterns, ideas and youtube videos but I'm really happy with the results. I posted the wrong side on another thread showing the solution I had to having run short of yarn but here are both sides as well as a close up of the Queen Bee herself.

I have to thank Lyza Walters (youtube video) for her great technique of joining the hexes. I always try to have the backs of my blankets look good and this was a good solution as that it did equal justice to the wrong side where I wanted the seam to stand out. I've used other techniques when I wanted the join blend in, however in this case, I wanted to see it clearly.

The edging is a simple sc all the way around.

I don't know who to thank for the various tutorials I found on youtube so I'll just say a broad based thank you to all of those good people who teach with only a 'like' as compensation. Thank you all.
    Susan from NJ is glad to be here

Supporting Pine Ridge Reservation one donation at a time!
    www.FriendsofPineRidgeReservation.org

Listen with ears that hear

This is so adorable! You did an amazing job!

Comment

This is absolutely adorable. Great Job!

🌺🐝

Edit to say. Kathy7661 I think we posted at the same time...and almost the same thing. lol...great minds think alike.
      Book Challenge 25/50
      2020 stash busting WTD.-6 YTD.+20

Comment

• Kathy7661
        Kathy7661 commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol! 😊

How cute!!! I am starting a hexi - I’ll have to look up her technique for joining. :-)
      Knitting is happening here! ❤️

Stashbuster MAL 2020: WTD: +10; YTD -258

Comment

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you! :-)

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        I just watched the video - the effect is very nice!!!

• pinesprairie
        pinesprairie commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, I'm liking this one too. I've only found a couple ways to join that I actually like so can't wait to give this one a go. Thanks susanwayne for posting the link.

I agree Char & pinesprairie
      That join is one that was new to me and I think will be a favorite. As I make mostly blankets for donation and for babies, children or Elders (of a Native American Tribe) I don't like anything with a lot of holes. Some of the joins I've tried are an open weave and others seen to only use the front loop in essence just joining the right side leaving an open ridge on the wrong side. I'm glad you both like it as well.

Comment

susanwayne - What a cute blanket. I love the bees!
        Naperville, IL - Growing zone 5b

Comment

susanwayne - did you figure out a good way to join the hexis? Not a stitch method but laying it out. Did you go one row at a time, corner to corner. I’m looking at a pile of hexagons trying to figure it out. Lol

Comment

• pinesprairie
            pinesprairie commented
            Editing a comment
            I've had good results going a row at a time, end to end. The sides have to be done individually this way though. The other way I've liked the results with is to hold one, join 5 others to it and keep going by joining many to one if that makes sense.

• Char
            Char commented
            Editing a comment
            pinesprairie - thank you :-) I was wondering if working from a corner then work my way out would save on the tiny ends all the way up.

• pinesprairie
            pinesprairie commented
            Editing a comment
            Char either way you end up with small sections and I'd go with the 'many to one' for this join (although I haven't tried it yet) - with other joining methods, it sometimes looks better end to end so the 'direction' of the join goes the same way.

Char pinesprairie When I did mine, I joined in strips (top to bottom and then I joined the strips together. I think that I thought it would give me the best shot at having some straight runs rather than many short sections joined. I don't think that you can avoid adding individual hexes to one another for some of the joins. The new to me join looked great on both sides of the blanket) and once you get the hang of it, it went quickly.
          Here's a quick schematic of what I did. If someone finds a better way...PLEASE let me know! Click image for larger version

Name:	Hex Join Schematic.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	57718

Comment

• Char
            Char commented
            Editing a comment
            This is awesome - thank you. :-)

Char I'm glad you like it. It worked for me and I couldn't think of a better way to do it. I'm hoping that maybe someone else will have a better idea for joining all of them. When I join Granny squares I do it the same way.

Comment

• Char
            Char commented
            Editing a comment
            When I do squares I do it like the video - in a grid. No little joins. :-)

• susanwayne
            susanwayne commented
            Editing a comment
            Can you link the video? I'm about to join grannies.

• pinesprairie
            pinesprairie commented
            Editing a comment
            I looked for this last night but couldn't find it - here's another layout that I've followed with success.....I do squares this way.

https://cypresstextiles.net/2017/09/...-for-hexagons/

susanwayne - this video you shared - about 7:40 is when she comes up to the intersection of her join.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3-zQA2qjLs

Comment

• Char
            Char commented
            Editing a comment
            susanwayne - this ^ is the video - about 7:40 into it....

pinesprairie Thanks for that link. I think for my purposes that didn't work because I am not adding a border row to the existing hexes. That method seems to rely on this extra row to get you from one place to the next. Unless I'm not understanding something about her method.
          I'm ready to put together a granny square lapghan and again I don't want to add any more rows to each square. I want to use that flat slip stitch join (Lyza Walters video) and can't see how I can do it with a continuous method. I think I have to go back to what I did with the hexes which is a modified continuous join I guess.
          But thanks for the link. I'll hold on to it.

Maybe Char will be able to come up withe the video she mentioned?

Comment

Very creative!

Comment

Amazon Widget

Collapse

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
            X