June 2024

Thanks @hereami I saw a cowl I liked there. https://www.cascadeyarns.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/W486_PacificPrints_LacyScallopsCowl.pdf

I also found a raglan bolerohttps://store.vogueknitting.com/product/eyelet-raglan-cardi/

and a shrug with a cowl neck https://store.vogueknitting.com/product/wrap-front-shrug/in my magazines

Edit to add a tank top https://store.vogueknitting.com/product/laced-tank/

Votes anyone?

3 Likes

The shrug with a cowl neck is my favorite. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I second the shrug with cowl neck

1 Like

I am now back home. Getting caught up on everyone’s news. No pics yet, need to get them out of the camera on onto the computer. Friday I will show off my new acquisitions.

2 Likes

I recently got my mom’s 1958 Singer Slant-O-Matic 401a brought up from the basement so I could check it out and see what it needed to have done to make it work. She got it for her high school graduation present and I have learned that it was top-of-the-line for its time and is still a sought-after machine. I know it hasn’t been touched since the mid-1990s and hasn’t been serviced since sometime in the early 1980s so I was expecting it to need a lot of work to even get it going. I plugged it in, pushed lightly on the knee peddle, and was shocked that it chugged a little and then started going! I watched a video and broke it down to do a basic cleaning and then tried a bunch of the different stitches and they all seemed to work (the problems with the stitches in the picture are from me not holding the fabric right, it has been 30+ years since I sewed at all!). The motor was obviously struggling because it needs more than just the basic cleaning, it needs a thorough cleaning and oiling and is missing a couple pieces, so I haven’t done much with it yet. The cabinet is in pretty good shape for the treatment it has gotten in recent decades and most of the hinges are either broken completely or pretty close to breaking, so they will need to be replaced. My oldest and I are researching how to give it a good servicing and then we’re going to look into refinishing the cabinet so it is as nice looking as the machine.

8 Likes

Neat! Looks like a solid machine.

1 Like

So cool!!! A good lube and oil and I bet she’ll be just fine!!!

2 Likes

So are you going to start sewing?

1 Like

I am thinking of converting my gorgeous girl to a hand crank machine. I have a very nice Janome already with plenty of oomph, but the enthusiastic motor isn’t quite what I need for super precise work. A hand crank would fill that niche for me. Plus, I wasn’t looking forward to servicing and rewiring the motor… Aftermarket hand crank kits are inexpensively available and that’s probably what I’ll wind up doing, but I’m going to poke around and see what I can learn first; if there are ergonomic considerations, whether I really need to replace the handwheel, etc.

4 Likes

Yep, that’s the plan! My oldest is helping me get it running well again and he wants to learn to sew at least a little as well. I took sewing in Home Ec back in school and my mom taught me a little when I was a teen, but I wasn’t very interested then and haven’t done any sewing since the mid-1990s. I won’t be starting totally from scratch and I was surprised about how much I remembered about how the machine works. I will definitely be a beginning, but an eager one this time!

3 Likes

I am so excited to see some new sewists. :slight_smile:

I started on some English Paper Piecing. I need something to work on while I’m in training next week…. I need to keep my hands busy.

I think I’ll turn this into a tote of some sort. Or maybe a zippy pouch. Hmmmm

5 Likes

How wonderful!

I just gave away my sewing machine table like that last month. Mine had straight legs.
The old Singer I had had many attachments that could do whatever you needed. I gave that away 45 years ago when i bought a new Kenmore. I do miss the buttonhole attachment it had. Kenmore has a built in one, but no where near as good.

2 Likes

That’s a real fancy machine and cabinet!

1 Like

My church started a charity quilt group, and sew (haha, get it!:woozy_face:) I’ve been inspired to do some other sewing items as well.

My kiddos and i saw this fabric and thought of my MIL and sew I made her an apron from it based off my favorite apron. All went pretty well, but sewing the ties was at times a bit much for my machine. Bent a needle.

I recently went to an EPP group and finally put needle to fabric! I’ve had the stuff for it for a while but wanted to watch some pros do it. I only sewed a few hexies together, but it was fun to see some of the projects. One lady had a queen quilttop that she recently finished…took 7 years! It was beautiful.

I have also recently decided that i will make a few baby quilts… nothing too fancy since I’ve never made a quilt, but I have confidence they will turn out. No walking foot so the quilting won’t be fancy.

6 Likes

That fabric is adorable!

1 Like

I thought I’d share some pics of my vacation…

Inside cabin looking out the balcony ( yes, it is a balcony with a window that can be closed in inclement weather)

7 Likes

Slightly out of focus, but the train in Skagway that follows the White Pass trail

5 Likes

Rear view of the ship we traveled on

5 Likes

My haul in the various cities we visited.

8 Likes

And I think I’ve spammed the thread enough for now.

5 Likes