June 2024

All beautiful!

2 Likes

I have an apron I had custom-made for me on Etsy years ago, but it is getting incredibly worn now and I have lost so much weight that it is really much too big for me. Once we get my machine running better, the first thing I want to make is a new apron. This one is adorable, I love the fabric! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

What a find! This was essentially the first slant needle machine. I worked for Singer in '67-68 teaching the “Introduction to your new Singer sewing machine” classes that came with every new machine purchase, and these machines are almost indestructible.
Your instinct for a thorough cleaning as the first step is absolutely correct, but beware of over oiling, as it will actually attract more dirt as the machine is operated. If you have any questions, by all means call on me.

4 Likes

they’re not spam! - I’m so happy for you for having had this opportunity to go on this adventure - love your mementos :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

I will definitely take you up on that offer! I have watched some videos and they all caution about over-oiling as well so I made sure to get sewing machine specific oil and (when I get to that stage) will make sure to only use the drop or two recommended. I live in a very dry and dusty environment and the poor thing has been neglected for a long time, so I want to make sure it has enough lubrication to keep going but not so much that it attracts too much dirt!

1 Like

@Nyssareen and @HeatherAthebyne …I love the fabric too. :grin: It’s from Hobby Lobby and they had a 40% off sale, so it was a great price!

3 Likes

@crosstitchlinda Wow!! I just did a search for this book. The internet show some pictures. The patterns are absolutely amazing.

Which beanie will you do first??

1 Like

I did Mesa Verde first. no picture yet.

2 Likes

I’ve been bamboozled.

Between deciding on purchasing an all-metal Janome HD-3000 last decade, and actually purchasing one new in 2020, Janome quietly made a change. Sometime in 2018 or so, they decided to make new HD-3000s with half the motor power and plastic gears, and… didn’t tell anyone? Or maybe they did. I dunno, I’d expect such a drastic change to come with an equally drastic change in model number.

So, given that my “forever” machine isn’t actually suited to that expectation, I’ve decided to proceed with rewiring the Singer, rather than converting it to a hand crank. The Janome doesn’t have any immediate problems, but I’ll be happy to have a solid alternative.

With that said, while we wait for the metal polish to arrive, let us turn our attention to the most egregious flaw in the cabinet’s condition.

As I mentioned previously, the lid appears to have been nailed shut at one point in time. I’ve slipped the cardboard in there to let me sort of shut the lid without widening the nail holes.

It appears that a person or persons with more enthusiasm than taste, after nailing the lid shut, attached a piece of linoleum to the top with wood glue.

Gnarly.

There are two layers of veneer on the top which I’m sure were once nice. It’s delaminated, chipped, and curled up on the edges, though, and I’m not sure whether I should pull them off or try to re-glue and patch them. I suppose the final finish will depend upon how frequently I intend to fold away the machine.

4 Likes

Oh! That poor cabinet! I feel bad that my mom’s machine hasn’t been as well cared for as it could have been, but at least no one wood-glued linoleum to it! :scream:

2 Likes

Trying to quickly finish up my Watermellon Shawl before tonight. I should have the rows completed. Maybe not all the weaving in. But…I had to just set a time goal and get this Wip done. I will post a picture when it is off the needles today.

As I am finishing up a project, I start wondering what in the world I am going to do now.
A kind of crafters withdrawl. lol.

I was wondering. What are you all working on? I am looking for inspiration.

Simple or complicated…it doesn’t matter.

I was given 2 skeins of Loops and Threads Facet in dark ocean. From what I can see online it will be good for a basic knitted shawl. Internet people said it is prone to split, uneven…more like roving. So, I figure a basic bottom up shawl would work.

3 Likes

I have been in training all week. I brought some EPP with me. I’m making this hexagon table topper…. I drew out the paper piece layout…

I am actually near done with the top. I think I.5 flowers to finish, then add it all together.

5 Likes

I get that too, crafter’s withdrawal, it sucks! I tend to be a monogamous knitter, so when I finish one project, I have to jump in and find a new project before the no-yarn doldrums set in. :neutral_face:

I have been working on a Pooh Bear hoodie for my great-nephew all month and have had to restart 5 times so far. I had just finished sewing the front and back together and done the hood when I realized the construction of the whole thing was just wrong. So I had to rip it all out, find a new pattern, and start over AGAIN! But I think the pattern I have now will actually work, so wish me luck!

3 Likes

I finished! Whew… I call it my watermellon Shawl.

8 Likes

That is beautiful! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I had chosen the cowl neck shrug, but I didn’t have enough yarn. I had been looking at the yardage for the main color and didn’t realize it needed contrast colors.

Went with the bolero.

5 Likes

we’ll be sailing a lot during the sailing season so I won’t be able to join Zoom very often - here’s what kept me from joining last Friday

10 Likes

Hopefully the 6th time is the charm!

1 Like

Here is my traveling craft. Lion brand wool-ease in grey heather. In a simple basket weave atitch pattern. Did you all know you can get a pocket knife with scissors? My favorite pocket knife.

4 Likes

Do we have a July listing yet? If so, I missed it, so here I am.

On vacation with the fam…a little bit of knitting time. I thankfully remembered the night before we left to put a few more skeins into cakes for the trip. :woozy_face:

I’m working on the Blackcomb cowl in 100 knits.

6 Likes